Friday, September 16, 2011

Influence

I came across an interesting book called, Influencer: the power to change anything. The book really helps you define how to be successful when trying to change behavior.  If you are busy and want to watch a short video about the subject, check out this youtube video: Influencer

We all have a preconceived notion that its all about willpower.  When it is really having the right kind of influence around us. In the video we are told to use ourselves as a walking research subject, trying to find what works and doesn't work.  That its not about willpower, basically that is a myth.  This really made me think about how we traditionally try to change people's behaviors when it comes to their health.  Is it because they are lazy?  No...it is because they do not know how to get the right type of influence around them.


If I use myself as an example...Diets are something every woman has tried at one point or another.  The problem with diets is they never seem to work.  For myself, I feel like I am pretty determined when I set my eye on something but have failed diets in the past and been really successful on others.  What was the difference for me.  In order to be successful, I had to find out the reasons why one worked and the others did not.  The biggest for me was accountability from my peers.  With that being said, I armed myself with the knowledge I needed to be successful and found myself on an uphill, unexpected battle.

When I asked co-workers to join me on the new 4 hour body diet, they were reluctant because the diet was "too strict."  What I saw was how influence can work against us as well.  One negative comment derailed the whole co-worker train.  It was still okay for me though as I used this as a bigger motivator for myself.   I have learned over the years that if someone tells me it can't be done or even better, that I can't do it, then I WILL do it to prove them wrong.
What I have learned through this experience is that I CAN'T change peoples minds if they do not have the RIGHT type of influence around them.  Whether it was a spouse that didn't support them or the excuse of having no time...I heard them all.  Mind you I have three children, work full time, am in graduate school and my husband owns his own business (which translates into he is never home), but the excuses were still given to me as if I didn't have the same or even more barriers than they did.
So how did I do it....I used my family to hold me accountable, prepare large batches of meat and/or meals and portion them out on the weekend (takes me two hours total) and then I can grab and go on the week days.  If I forget something then I run to the store on my lunch break.  And lastly, I use the negative influence of others to fuel me instead of setting myself back.
But those are things that work for me, not others.  So it is important to find out what works for you or whoever you are trying to help and use that instead.
--The Catalyst

No comments:

Post a Comment