Monday, March 12, 2012

Finding my strengths in ideation

Last week I decided to take this StrengthsFinder 2.0 test as part of a mentoring program I am doing.  It was interesting because it focuses on your natural abilities which they call your strengths.  Typically what you will see is people focusing on how to improve their weaknesses, but not this book.


So here are my top 5 results:
1. Ideation: People who are especially talented in the Ideation theme are fascinated by ideas. They are able to find connections between seemingly disparate phenomena.
2. Positivity: People who are especially talented in the Positivity theme have an enthusiasm that is contagious. They are upbeat and can get others excited about what they are going to do.

3. Achiever: People who are especially talented in the Achiever theme have a great deal of stamina and work hard. They take great satisfaction from being busy and productive.
4. Learner: People who are especially talented in the Learner theme have a great desire to learn and want to continuously improve. In particular, the process of learning, rather than the outcome, excites them.
5. Input: People who are especially talented in the Input theme have a craving to know more. Often they like to collect and archive all kinds of information.

For full list please check-out Strength Finders 2.0 website.

What I found fascinating was the first on my list was Ideation.  Okay, why is that fascinating to me you say....Well because I have always found it strange that I wake up in the middle of the night with ideas, that I always have to know why, I want to see the data and connect the dots to see something that maybe someone else missed, I just love brainstorming and coming up with new and better ways to do things.  It may not seem strange to some, but to most, my constant drive (the achiever side I guess) and the want for more knowledge (Learner and Input), combined with a constant flow of ideas (ideation) can seem strange. Reading the definition to my top five helped explain why I think the way I think.

In one part of the book, it said something about awakening talents and compared to turning on a bunch of light switches all at once.  That is exactly what happened to me in 2004 when I took my first business class.  I was so interested in business, marketing, entrepreneurship that I changed my entire academic focus.  I actually started to read non-fiction books and loved them.

So what does this mean?  The book says that we need to find jobs were we can use our natural talents/strengths.  Here is what my number one talent, ideation said (the results section which is a longer definition).


Instinctively, you expend much mental energy to devise innovative ways of doing things. A change
here and a change there normally stimulate your thinking. Chances are good that you traditionally
figure out what you need to do better by evaluating data, evidence, or facts. By nature, you are
ecstatic — that is, thrilled — when you read about a novel concept or an original theory. Probably, the
hope of discovering a new way of thinking motivates you to read a lot. You enjoy collecting a variety of information. You sense that one day you will find a proper use for it. Driven by your talents, you
routinely contrive innovative ideas. The art of invention stimulates your mind. You likely spring from
one original thought to an entirely different one. You usually find unique ways to link two or more
concepts. Because of your strengths, you derive great pleasure from making discoveries designing
innovations. You really enjoy doing things no one has ever considered.



Seek a career in which you will be given credit for and paid for your ideas, such as
marketing, advertising, journalism, design, or new product development.

If anyone really knows me, I am sure my results will not surprise them.  I guess I just never looked at ideation as a talent or strength before.  The test really gave me a new perspective on strengths and how I might be able to utilize them.

No comments:

Post a Comment